Positive Solutions for A Sound Beginning NFP
EVERY Shelter and Rescue organization would benefit from having a trained behavior team educated in humane teaching methods to provide a healthy, safe, and positive way to help the dogs in their care while waiting for their forever home.
EVERYONE working in rescue, whether in a foster-based organization or within a shelter, needs to have a basic set of skills to fully meet the needs of each individual dog. Learning their language and how they interpret our interactions with them is essential in order to establish a relationship foundation with all humans based on MUTUAL TRUST – RESPECT – COMMUNICATION – and MOTIVATION.
Positive Solutions for A Sound Beginning NFP wants to share that knowledge.
Dogs are in a highly stressful state when being surrendered and EACH interaction with a human can add more uncertainties that increase stress and breaks down trust with humans.
Rescue mainly focuses on transporting, vetting, grooming, and housing. But if we don’t include the emotional needs of the dog it can contribute to behavior problems that could have been prevented and addressed early on.
If we want to truly make adoptions stick, we have to start at the beginning - educate the people who work with the dogs every step of the way.
Who are We?
Positive Solutions for A Sound Beginning is a not-for-profit that supports animal rescue organizations such as foster-based groups, humane societies, and shelters to provide education for canine behavioral training.
Our purpose is to teach people who care for a dog’s physical and emotional well being by providing positive training methods based on proven science that never uses force or fear. In doing so, we can reduce stress, create trust, and increase the outcome of adoptability and ultimately prevent dogs from being returned.
How is this accomplished?
- Free Intro to Training classes offered to the general public
- Free Intro to Training for shelters – Creating safe and trusting environments
- Free Intro to Training for rescue – Fostering without fear
Other educational services we provide:
- Building a Shelter Behavior Program: to create a behavior team by teaching a basic knowledge of training and behavior modification to reduce stress in the kennel from intake through adoption.
- Creating a Foster-Home Behavior Team: to put in place a program for rescue organizations that teaches volunteers how to differentiate normal training issues from behavior problems that when addressed will support fosters and teach basic skills - such as how to safely introduce a new dog into a foster home, reducing stress at adoption events, and more.
- Behavior Library – to offer an on-demand resource of written and video tutorials that can provide immediate help with step-by-step solutions on how to address the most common training and behavior issues in the foster home or shelter environment.