Search through the list or calendar to find Path To Success Classes at a time and location that is convenient for you. After you purchase the A Sound Beginning Complete Package you will become a Member on our site. You can then log in with your Members account to register for upcoming classes.
Management and Training of On-Leash Reactivity or Aggression
FOSTER HOME EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Fostering a Feisty Fido? Rescued a Rowdy Rover? Now What?
Most reactivity occurs due to fear.
It sure doesn’t look like it when we see them snarling and snapping at the end of the leash, but it is part of the underlying emotion that drives it and the aggressive response that you’re seeing. This seminar will teach you how to use the principles of behavior modification to help a dog have a more desirable reaction when seeing something new in the environment.
This seminar is for rescue workers, adopters or anyone who wants to learn about using humane and force-free dog training techniques to change behavior. This is a class for people only (without dogs).
SEMINAR FEE: $50.00
What’s involved in training a reactive dog?
Don’t Correct. Re-Direct!
From day one you can begin training a dog to have a better response to seeing other dogs, cars, people, bikes, or anything that may cause them to react.
- Learn what basic foundation skills are needed to get started
- Learn the training exercises that effectively change behavior
- Understand why and when to seek the support of a behavioral vet
- Julie Dorsey-Oskerka, founder of the A Sound Beginning Program
- Steve Frost, Shelter Program Manager / In-Home Behavioral Trainer
- Dr. Fiia Jokela, Veterinary Behavior Consultant
2pm - MANAGEMENT AND PREVENTION – Julie Dorsey-Oskerka
- Learn what you need to get started
- Know what to do if you see a dog/biker/car –or whatever excites your dog
- Know what to do if your dog sees it and reacts before you have time to think
- You’ll learn the basic formula for success while building a solid foundation of understanding at both ends of the leash
3pm - TRAINING TO EFFECTIVELY MODIFY BEHAVIOR – Steve Frost
Learn the principles of behavior modification: How classical and operant conditioning can be applied to change a dog’s emotional response. You’ll learn what training exercises to use and why and how they work.
4pm - WHEN TO CONSIDER VETERINARY BEHAVIOR SUPPORT - Dr. Fiia Jokela
How do you know when a behavioral veterinarian should be consulted and what options do you have? Dr. Jokela will be holding an open forum for a good portion of her presentation.
Working together we CAN change the face of rescue.
CANCELLATION POLICY: For cancellations received BEFORE 7/11/2018, the seminar fee will be refunded at 100%. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received AFTER 7/11/2018 11:59pm.
|Event date||07-15-2018 2:00 pm|
|Event End Date||07-15-2018 5:00 pm|
|Cut off date||07-14-2018 11:55 pm|
|Instructor||Julie Dorsey-Oskerka, Steve Frost, Dr. Fiia Jokela|
|Location||Starfish / ASB (Batavia)|